Tuesday, December 03, 2002

 

December Makes Me Remember


December is the first month of summer in Australia.
And whenever it rolls around I am reminded of
school holidays -the Christmas/Summer holidays.
Six weeks of freedom- beautiful.

When you were a kid they seemed to last for ever.

But the heat, my God, the heat, don't get me started on the
heat. I don't give a damn what the 'research', the 'facts' or
the 'experts' say, the heat and the humidity of the 60's and
70's were much more relentless then they are today. In those
days there was day after day,week after week of scorching
heat and torturous, paralyzing humidity.

But there are so many memories, the ice cream van,
the sprinkler, The backyard pool, the local swimming baths,
the beach. One fond memory I have is of spending time
with my family on the verandah waiting for the house to
cool down enough so as that we could sleep. I also
remember suffering from the sunburn, scratching mosquito
bites despitereeking of insect repellant, enjoying a shandy,
the conversations, and the sights and the sounds: the stars,
the traffic, the passersby.

Today, one million years since I've left school, for the whole
month of December When I am at work I feel as if I am working
during my summer holidays.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]