Monday, December 02, 2002

 

Sweet


Something good happened to me the other day.

But before I tell you about it, let's go back in time a couple of months.

(FX: sweepy, swirly Gilligan's Island-like 'dream sequence', going-back-in-time' mist).

My life had been travelling along quite nicely when things began to go financially askew. Basically, what
happened was that I received a pay that was short because of a couple of sick days I had taken-and some
bills arrived-and I had to borrow some money.

Then a few more bills came and for the next few pays I had to more money to tide me over to the next pay.

And then other day, Friday, happened. All I had to do was make it until monday afternoon. My pay would
be in the bank. I would be able to payback everybody I owed money to and things would be back on an
even keel.

(I actually earn an above-average wage and I normally do quite well,but for the last two months or so things
just went wrong.)

So it was Friday,three days before pay day, I was working the night shift. All I needed was the train fare to
work and back and a packet of cigarettes. I was two dollars short.

I may as well as been a million dollars short.

I didn't know what to do. There was no way I could do a 12 hour night shift without any cigarettes and there
is a $100 fine if you are caught travelling without a valid train ticket. And there was nobody I could or wanted
to borrow money from.

There was nothing else for it but to buy the cigarettes, a ticket to work, and take a chance on travelling
home without one. If I got caught. I would pay the fine.

So, I started the walk to train station, my heart heavy, when the good thing happened:

when I was about half way to the station, I happened to spy, on the ground, a bright, beautiful, shiny new
two dollar coin.

Thank you,God.

The next morning, as I travelled home, I quite happily showed my ticket to the ticket inspectors and
I smiled at the railway police who were checking tickets at the stop I get off at.

I am no longer in debt and I now have some extra money and the latest Buffy DVDs are in store.
Life is good again.

Sweet.







Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]