Sunday, December 28, 2003

 

What Is Something You Dislike About Yourself?

In order to overcome a case of writer’s block, and to silence
my internal critic, and just for the fun of it, I decided to
do a ‘Google’ search on ‘Writing Prompts’ and do the first
prompt on the list-which happened to be:
What is something you dislike about yourself?


It was not all that long ago (a few years of so) that the above
writing prompt would have had me writing a long list of things
that I disliked about myself. And if had come across such a prompt
when I was age that I think that the above-mentioned prompt site
is aimed at, I would have written volumes as to why I disliked myself.

But now, as an adult, I have to stop and think what I don’t like about
myself-that is not to say that I think I’m perfect, far from it. There
are things that I would like to change and improve about myself, but
I don’t dislike myself because of those things.

I have come to learn that it does no good, in and of itself, to dislike
yourself. It is good only if it is a prompt for action.

For example, because of my age; the fact that I don’t exercise
regularly;and I love to eat, I am not as a fit as I would like to
be (to be specific, I have a gut and man boobs.) I dislike this
about myself. And I plan to do something about it.

In fact, I am doing something about it. I am drinking heaps of
water, I’m back on the CSIRO diet, (which I went off during the
Xmas/New Years break), I’m working harder at work (which
can be quite physical, lots of walking, and lifting- but nothing
really strenuous) - and I’m trying to get back into the habit of
regular exercise.

I also wish that I was less introverted that I had the ‘gift of the
gab’,that I had more confidence and a better ability to sell myself.
I plan to improve the aspects of myself by joining Toastmasters
which I’ve heard good things about.


Beep! Beep! Beep! Time’s up.

Have a happy new year!

Writer's Block

Internal Critic
Writing Prompts

CSIRO Diet

Craig's Shyness Resource Page



Public speaking Isn't So Bad



ToastMasters

















Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]